Saturday, February 28, 2009

Ditch the maid

Am sitting at my office desk on a supposed-to-be happening Saturaday evening, its 7:22pm. Waiting for the engineers to get things done...

How about some update on the recent event at home?

No one is indispensable. It’s true.

After 1.5 years of tolerating the money-stealing and disrespectful maid, I have decided, that on 24th of February, out she goes. Out of my house, out of our memories and out of Singapore!
I have had enough. After a few recent nonchalant talked back instances, I told myself, why should I be tolerating this person when I am the paying her salary?

The maid knows that when the son starts going to the childcare centre, it marks the end of her employment with us, and hence, knowing her days were numbered, she decided to reveal more and more of her bad attitudes. Well, yesterday was THE day when I asked her to look after the son while I had my lunch. Instead of standing close to him, she was standing in the kitchen while he is in the living room. The son ran and fell and of course, burst into tears. That moment, I lost my cool and hollered to her, “We don’t need you any more, just go away!”

Within an hour, she had her luggage all lay out and Kevin was thinking she might be “trying to scare us”. I could not be bothered about her intention and without much contemplation, I told her to clear all her ‘outstanding’ household chores and then do the packing in front of us while at the same time we scrutiny her personal items to prevent her from stealing from us, again.

Thereafter, we drove her to the agency.

The day ended with a mini celebration with Kevin at Aston. The day marked the beginning of our carefree days…

No more locking up the bedroom door while we sleep.
No more doing ‘stock check’ on the son’s fish supply. (since she often steal fish from the son for her meals)
No more food, titbits, and health supplement went missing mysteriously.
No more keeping a tight rein on letters, cheques and jewelleries.
No more restricting myself from dancing and humming to my favourite jingle in the house with the son.
No more brain ‘stimulation’ on thinking what kind of chores to assign to her to keep her busy and not lazing around.

No more of so many no-mores.

Well, it is time that we embrace our new lives without the maid and lead one with part time domestic helpers.

Sure there are often too many cups to wash in the day and clothes to be hang up while the maid isn't around, but at least Kevin and I are happy.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home