Tuesday, May 27, 2008

First Day of Work

First day of work is always the most unforgettable day for some. For me, I WISH I CAN FORGET ABOUT IT ASAP.

Samuel told me, "Its like that one la. You will get used to it!"

I agreed.

The Workload

So far, nothing much, I was asked to read through some course notes for the first 2 days. No laptop for the first day, that also means no internet access. My colleague sitting next to me is kind enough to lend me her laptop to go online to surf net and check emails.

On the second day, I got an Acer laptop, hooray... Internet access is on the way!! Actually I was pretty surprised that I was granted internet access as I have heard from ex colleagues that my company usually don't grant internet access to staff due to security reasons. But anyway, I GOT IT, so it doesn't matter, why? how?

I anticipated that the workload will be heavier as time goes by. Cause I was told about the plans of the department and was involved in several roles. (my goddess...)

The Colleagues

It is always nice to be the youngest in the company. Like I have always been in all my previous companies. This time I FEEL OLD.

Those colleagues although are merely 2-3 years younger than me, but somehow I still feel OLD cause, not generation gap but "lifestyle gap". They are all single, some attached and definitely have NO KIDS. While I am married with a son. So see the gap?

I feel that even among colleagues they don't seems to be close, very often lunch time is so quiet. No one talks. Although they are young, but somewhat life-less. Rarely do they joke, rarely do they gossip, rarely do they chat... Almost doze off during lunch.

Oh yes, the best 'entertainment' during lunch time is tour NTUC. How cool?!

Anyway, how coincident, I met a ex Singtel colleague who happened to work in the company for like 2 years. She told me loads about the company culture and our conclusion is, "NUA". The pace of the company is SLOW and she told me that she waited 1.5 years for an email address and till to-date, she has not get it. So efficient huh?

Anyway, being in such company has its good and bad points. Will just play along...

Transport

I am the super blessed one according to the colleagues... Kevin drives me to work and pick me up from work everyday. Even though he keeps complaining about the traffic, the jaw-dropping ERP charges ($6.50 per trip), still, he wakes up in the morning with me. He is so sweet. And when it rains, he will park his car opposite and arm himself with an umbrella to wait for me at the main gate, cause apparently the security system of my company is super stringent and he cannot park his car within the company to wait for me. His birthday is coming, I definitely have to splurge on something nice for him.

Culture

Guess, all IT companies cultures are the same. Reporting late for work is so common and universal. I adapted to the culture on the second day and reported to work at 915am instead of 830am and went off on time at 6pm. During office hours, people will gather in front of one table to talk and lunch time is always 15mins before noon cause the common excuse, "wanna avoid lunch time crowd".

Anyway, its too early to judge if I will stay long in this job, long as in complete the contract, but one thing for sure, I will not continue another year of contract with them. For several reasons which I am too lazy to state. I look forward to be a SAHM by the end of this year and having baby no. 2 soon.

Yawn...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home