Saturday, December 6, 2008

Shoes

Many ladies fall head over heels for hot heels or pumps. But not me. Shoes are never on my priority list and even the coveted Manolo Blahniks are never on my wishlist (even if they come for free). I can never comprehend the joy and rapture that some ladies get when buying shoes.

I don’t have pressurized soirees to attend; I don’t have fellow tai-tais to compete about (shoes). But what I think vital about shoes is, they must be lasting.

Some years back, I too, was a shoe-fanatic; I went for the popular and low-priced M-brand. Although their shoes are inexpensive, but wearing them will still make me looked every inch chichi, furthermore, purchasing 4-5pairs at one time cost less than 200bucks. Soon, I learnt “cheap doesn’t mean it is good”.

Soles of the heels just came off cruelly at the wrong time and wrong place. It can be in the middle of the road, it can be at the most inconvenient place to get a replacement (shoes), it can embarrassingly happen in the office. And you have to excuse yourself for lunch for whatever reason you can cook to convince your colleagues that “IT IS NOT THE SHOES”.

And sometimes, I still have to continue to walk in them (of course cursing and swearing in my heart) and yet have to walk with grace, especially in Orchard Road.

So here comes the best part, try bringing those shoes to the cobbler and I bet the repair cost is just as expensive as or cost half the price of the pair of shoes. I have tried asking home-grown cobbler, aka Kevin for help, it was even worse, after a day, the sole came off again. He set me thinking when he asked, “Why are there extra soles for the heels, does that mean they drop off easily?” Sadly, but it is the truth. They just came off without a reason.

I have had enough of such shame and fear of “when-is-my-shoes-going-to-betray-me?” thoughts and decided to invest in some reasonably priced shoes once and for all.

I did a shoe-robe face-life and instill new blood to it. And now, I am a proud and confident Nine-West-ian. First, Nine-West, unlike some other brands that are overpriced and grotesquely ugly, best part is, they last you for pretty long even if you wear it everyday and most importantly, they are incredibly comfortable even the heels can be 3-4inch high. I don’t have the habit of changing shoes variety everyday; therefore, these shoes are just perfect for me. No matter how you wear it, the sole of the heels will never give up on you. Compliments are often earned from these shoes rather than those cheaper ones.

So far, I have 5 pairs of them and still counting to more “new members” joining. I have since then bid goodbyes to the M-brand, the no-brand brands and those shoes which only looked good only when they are on display.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home