Thursday, March 3, 2011

Europe Trip: Vatican City - The Holy See

So, as I said, Vatican City is the smallest state in the world, enclave within the City of Rome. Stepping in to Vatican City is nothing like going from Singapore to JB where you need to get your passport stamped and receive disgusted look from the custom officer... Vatican City was distinguished from the territory of Italy only by a white line along the limit of the square, where it touches Piazza Pio XII. One step forward, and you are in the city.

In my opinion, although Vatican City is the smallest state, but I guess the influence or impact it has on the Catholic community is tremendous. And I have to say I have utmost respect for the Pope, Benedict XVI. The term Holy See refers not to the Vatican state but to the Pope's spiritual and pastoral governance, largely exercised through the Roman Curia. I don't know if it was just me, but when I walked into the church I can't help but to feel
solemn and serene.

I love to visit museums and love listening to enchanting stories of art works and architectures. The must-visit chapel in Vatican City is definitely the Sistine Chapel. We were not allowed to take pictures in the chapel, and anyway, we were dumbfounded by the brillant artwork of Michelangelo. What we used to see on TV documentary now came to live, right in front of our eyes. Remember the painting, Creation of Adam by Michelangelo - where the iconic image of the Hand of God giving life to Adam, The Last Judgement - on the ceiling of the Sisten Chapel and witness the self portrait of Michelangelo in the painting, the history of the chapel is so vast that I researched about it when I returned to Singapore. All in all, I feel glad that apart from mad shopping, I gained some knowledge.

The ticket to the museum.


The open area outside the museum.



The ceiling of the museum, and mind you, that is not a 3D effect ceiling.


On the way out of the museum to St. Peter's Basilica.


The Saint Peter's Square. Also called the Piazza San Pietro.


Outside St. Peter's Basilica. St. Peter's Basilica has the largest interior of any Christian church in the world. It is regarded as one of the holiest Catholic sites, that explains why we really love to visit this church.


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home