Thursday, March 3, 2005

University vs Polytechnic

I am definitely pissed of by some of the comments on some websites regarding how useless and losers poly students are as compared to the arrogant and supercilious university students. I am not afraid to tell you that I was previously a poly student and I graduated from that, plus, I am proud of it. I am currently perusing a US degree but that doesn’t mean that I regretted going to a poly. To further my studies is merely for job requirements. If given a choice, I rather not to further my study again.

I am definitely not pointing finger at all University students here, and being a poly student, I do have friends from University and they are nice people that are civilized and definitely not obnoxious. I just can’t tolerate those university students who think they are the best in the world and they belittle those who are not up to their education level.

Firstly, I don’t understand what is wrong with opting for poly rather than JC then to university? University students are not necessary to be the most brilliant bunch of people, even ITE has successful examples. I think Singaporeans especially those studying in University has the misconception that they think once they get the University certificate they are superior to many of the locals, those without certificate or those with “merely” a poly certificate. I tell you guys out there, certificate may gain you a better job, fetch you a higher pay but I don’t think that will also improve your mentality on things.

Recent case, a university student dumped her new born child down the rubbish chute. Many people will go, “Oh, how will a university student do that? Sure or not?” or “How come university student will do that?” Imagine the scenario has changed, instead of a university student; we changed it to a school drop-out. The response of people to this incident will be, “Oh, normal la!

You know what I mean here. That shows the mentality of a typical Singaporean. I wonder what makes them think that university students are saint and that they won’t make any mistakes. Then again, what makes them deem that, school drop-out are bound to make mistakes like that. It is saddening to hear that blurting out of the mouth of a Singaporean.

I personally feel that poly students tend to learn more things like communication skills and they are more specialize in their studies. We learn things that are going to be useful to us for our future jobs and at least, we read newspaper. Some university students are really ignorant. Their world is so small that all they know is what they are studying, they hardly read newspapers. Their world revolves around their school, what can they say to poly students to prove that they are superior, their exam etc…


This is a real case example.

Their world is so tiny that during an interview, I remembered when asked about who the current President of United States is, some blurted something funny, and one UNIVERSITY student said, “Kennedy”. I almost fell on the ground.

University students are “supposed” to be better than us right? What happened? Has he forgotten to memorize the History? Oh…. he shouldn’t have...

The example the brainless university student could be too obsessed in studying that he had forgotten to update himself with the current affairs and politics. Sometimes I think, poly students are more street-wise as compared to University students. Imagine we already started working at the tender age of 19, earning our own salary and we have seen much more than university students and I cannot comprehend, why university students have to be so proud being one who has no working experience and still using their parents’ money at 20++ yr old. I personally feel so ashamed of still asking money from my parents when I left poly.

Now, who should be inferior? I am not trying to make someone look inferior here. I just want the university students to know, we are all Singaporeans and that we should not look down upon our own citizens or judge among ourselves by the educational level. This is not fair. There are certainly good reasons behind studying a poly or university.

After all, successful or not will never depends on which certificate you achieve, it has to be based on hard work and perseverance to work towards a brighter future.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home