Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Broken Promise

... but please la... it is HERMES ok!

Shattered.
Crushed.
Burnt.

Whatever you want to call my broken promise. I think some may recall that I made a pact, one to set a limit of 2 bags per year and well over the years, the total value of both bags increased by 1 to 2 folds. So, perhaps deciding on a number of bags just doesn’t work and restricting a maximum credit will be a better way to deter over-spending.

We’ll leave it to next year because it is all too late now.

Thinking that I am giving myself excuse to splurge? Alright, let’s talk about facts. So tell me, which IT bag victim will leave Paris, the birth place of Hermes without a birkin (provided there is stock available)?

No way! Over my dead body! Siao ah?

It is not like you enter Hermes one rainy day to seek shelter and since you are there and you nonchalantly asked, “Any Birkin?” and Voilà! The sales shoved you one and even ask the color you prefer.

The above situation will NOT and NEVER happen.

Let me explain myself why it is worth to break a promise for a Birkin.

It is often when you enter the shop and asked the same old question and classically 9 out of 10 times the sales will snort, “No stock for the day”, when probe further about the availability, the sales will not look into your eyes but somewhere else and snap, “ I have no idea.”

Now, get it? This is how covet a Birkin is.

It is bananas to say this but I m not possessed when I m typing this.

Listen.

Each Hermes Birkin has their own story on how each find the owner, its true and this is my story.

I went to Paris with an idea what I which Birkin I want to buy. The color, the material, the size, I know what I want. But as days go by, towards the 3rd day of my stay in Paris, my instruction to Kevin is really easy as pie. Just get me a Birkin of any size. Or a Kelly is fine too. Any color is cool too.

Because each time, the answer to the availability is ‘No’, ‘Sorry’, and refusing to take NO for an answer, Kevin starts to believe they don’t sell to Asians. Well that’s ‘a silly thought’ and I assured him, there’s simply no stock. Seriously, I m not sure about that but I just wanna make sure that Kevin still believes in the possibilities of getting a Birkin over the counter.

My first day of Hermes was disastrous. It was elbow-to-elbow in both shops and I couldn’t even get someone to attend to me. Finally I found one and the answer was standard.

You know what, the sales at Hermes are so fortunate, they work shorter hours than me, they open at 1030am and close at 6pm. And I cannot make it to the store on time since I work on 9am to 6pm. I was lucky to have Kevin, my Hermes broker to pay the both shops a visit, twice a day to ask for stock. I know it has been hard on him, but he knows I LIKE IT A LOT and so, sorry, no choice.

On the 5th day, which is a Friday, I almost give up, cause I know it is impossible to get one so last minute, however, at 3pm, I received a call from Kevin. He asked me to look down my office. OH MY GOSH, I nearly swooned at the sight of the orange paper bag. Couldn’t contain my excitement when I see him carrying a super big orange bag with a super big orange box in the bag. So I am a proud owner of Birkin. Come to think of it, I didn’t ask the color and size not to mention the amount.

I rushed back to hotel after work and opened it up. Not my ideal color and material, but its Birkin, so who cares.

Kevin told me that there was someone ahead of him, contemplating if he should buy the bag for his wife, but he feared that the material is not scratch resistance and so he gave it up. At that time standing around the guy waiting for him to make a decision is like having stomach cramp. He tried to act cool, so that the guy ahead of him will not buy because knowing that someone is going to buy it straightaway after him.

So once they guy breathed, “No.” Kevin immediately tells the sales to PACK ignoring the color and the price totally. He only knows it was size 35.

Actually I feel sorry for Kevin to put him under so much pressure, it is worse than buying stocks…

Anyway, I never see that a bag comes with air bags and specially designed raincoat. Anyway, for those who are interested in Hermes, the tax rebate is only 10%. I am not sure why it is so special.

So may I present…
The raincoat, lock and whatnot.

Blue not my ideal... but its fine.



Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger I, Cactus said...

wow gal! really dramatic experience. But glad that you finally got it. This blue is quite nice.

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home