Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Yoga Lesson

Yoga is something which I deemed not-so efficacious in losing weight, and to me, it is almost as stultify as golf. “How can one sweat it all out with just stretching?!” I always thought to myself.
So even with free offers for the past few years, I was neither moved (by the offer) nor motivated (to lose weight by practicing Yoga). However, due to the expanding waistline ever since I came back from my Taiwan and Paris trip, I guess it’s time to move a little of my stiff body.

One of my colleagues recommended ‘lunch-time workout’ and I thought, “Why not?”

So I went ahead to book a session of Sivananda Yoga, which is another form of Hatha Yoga which consists of a series of 12 basic poses: Headstand, Shoulderstand, Plow, Fish, Seated Forward Bend, Cobra, Locust, Bow, Half Spinal Twist, Crow, Standing Forward Bend and Triangle.

There weren’t many students (about 8) in the studio for obvious reason, i.e. lunch time and I thought, “WTH, I will be sticking up like a sore thumb since I am the only one without experience!” True enough, I was extremely laggard in class; even the old aunty in front of me looks like a pro. I did many moves that were beyond me and my imagination (that I can achieve them!) and it is almost 10 times harsher than the aerobic class which I previously attended.

What I couldn’t imagine myself doing was the headstand. “Crazy” is the word I nearly blurt out when I saw the instructor demonstrating in front of me, unsupported. He encouraged me to try and I made known to him this is my first time and NO THANKS for trying it. I gave him the excuse that I had low blood pressure, but he assured that I will only feel a tinge of giddiness after that. Not given a choice to say ‘no’, I plucked up my courage to do it with the help of my instructor and with support.

It feels good, to be upside down.

Yoga appears to me as an exercise less strenuous, however in actual fact, it emphasized a lot on postures, flexibility and concentration. And I have none of the mentioned. Overall, it was an interesting learning experience for me, except for the part whereby the brazen old aunty in front of me farted continuously and loudly.

I left the studio knowing that I will be immobile tomorrow.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home