Thursday, June 16, 2011

Learn to give back

I have been spending part of my time doing community work for the past two years or more, and some on and off one-day volunteering events.

I recalled my short stint as a volunteer very long ago with A and D. It was enriching, and exceptionally inspirational. And a few years later, after giving birth to Ziv, I joined a volunteer group, nurturing children.

However, after GE 2011, I decided to contribute in a different way, by volunteering for the Aljunied GRC and Hougang SMC. So, I am literally thither and yon.

I assist in house visiting on a regular basis, on some days, I attend briefing and brainstorming sessions with the members, and coordinate and support the constituencies for the weekend activities. (Yes, weekend, but I don’t have a choice, as this is community work.) It has been extremely fulfilling, and at times pleasantly challenging.

I have to say that by volunteering for the alternative party, I see more, learn more, and feel more. I see generous efforts spent to serve the residents, unwavering perseverance in every attempt to reach out to the residents, and tremendous passion to help the residents, all that from the MPs of the alternative party.

Something happened last week, and it set me ponder about a lot of things. I asked myself if I will approve of my son, who graduated from NUS to clean filthy apartments on a regular basis without collecting a single cent? As a very protective mother, I would gave a resounding NO. But my MP friend did it last week.

Give the ruling party the benefit of doubt, and obviously I don’t volunteer for the ruling party, so I do not know if they would do the same. To some, this can be a nitty-gritty chore, “what so great about cleaning dirty homes?”, however, think of it from a mother’s perspective. I would probably think that my university graduate son can do better in private sectors, and why can’t he mind his own business and lead a comfortable life with his equally capable wife, and haveva few grandchildren for me?

Having see so many people from different walks of lives throughout the volunteering journey, I got some answers to some of the most selfish questions I ever asked myself.

After each volunteering session, I heard a lot of “Thank You”. I told my friend, I should be the one thanking her and her husband for all the wonderful jobs both have done for the residents.

Volunteering does not guarantee you the road to Damascus, but certainly, it shed some light on what really happens on the tiny island that we always thought is the best place on earth to stay.

Some pictures to share.

A one-day HGCC tour around Singapore. Can you spot me?



Cleaning up the apartment.



Photos taken from SL's blog.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home