Monday, April 24, 2006

Animals are our Best Friends, Don’t HURT them.

“You have your family, friends and relatives, but I only have YOU.”

Recently I was doing a project on Pet/Animal abuse and abandonment. Obviously, that would mean I have to do lots of research on this topic. I have gain more insights through reading several touching articles of animal abuse and abandonment and the above line touched me tremendously. It’s true. Pets are lonely. Their only hopes and dreams are you, the owner.

I read that many people are actually “potential” abusers; it is just that these people are too ignorant to realize that. For example,

Do you keep your pets are home alone for more than 12 hours?
Do you always keep your pet in a small and filthy cage?


If all the answers to the above questions are “YES”, then you are a potential abuser, I suggest you to do some reading online. There are several good resources like SPCA, ACRES, PETA, ANIMAL AID etc…

Of course, not only pet owners can be pet abusers, people without pet can be one too.
Examples of pet abuse will be animal testing, animal furs, leather and skin, trapping animals for food (sharkfins, dog meats etc) and more…

A personal story to share, I used to like rabbit fur for scarves and bags and I have shoes made of horse fur. I thought fur is a symbol of elegance. Unknowingly, I have actually contributed to the demand of animal fur product and apparel causing fur-bearing animals to die. Do you know how those despicable people obtain fur? I got this from furisdead.com,

To kill the animals without damaging their fur, trappers usually strangle, beat, or stomp them to death. Animals on fur farms may be gassed, electrocuted, poisoned with strychnine, or have their necks snapped. These methods are not 100 percent effective and some animals "wake up" while being skinned.


Stop buying fur, use faux. And it looks just as nice as the real ones. Knowing how animals are killed for fur, makes the real fur looks cheap because it degrades your characters, displaying your ignorance of the cruelty in the fur trade.

Personally, I am a pet owner, my dog, Coby is a 1 year plus (going to 2) Silky Terrier. After reading so many about animal abuse, I feel that I am not a good owner, there’s much improvement which I can do to make Coby happier. Coby is a very active dog, he is very mischievous and because I love him so much that it becomes a bit spoil. I always tell myself, Coby’s life span is only 12-15 years, I must make him enjoy all the 12-15 years because I love him. Imagine this, $800-$5000 enables you to buy the life of a pet, isn’t that so unfair if you ill-treat the pet?

Think again, human life is priceless, but lives of these innocent animals are tagged with a price.

Silky Terrier

No matter whether you are a pet owner or a non pet owner, an animal lover or someone who has “no special feelings” towards animals, YOU CAN HELP in one way or another to relief these poor animals from pain and fear.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home