Saturday, August 9, 2008

7 Aug 2008 - Goodbye! and Hello!

Goodbye!

I bided DSTA goodbye on 6 Aug 2008. The sumptuous buffet dinner with 10 other colleagues at the Furama City Center marked my egress of the company. It’s amazing that I can befriend with a bunch of fun-loving colleagues during my short 2-month stay. Initially, I used to think that they are dreary bunch of people, but was utterly wrong. Now, it feels sad that I am leaving the company, my colleagues, my understanding boss who in fact, supported my decision to leave cause he knew that I was given a better opportunity and prospect in my new employment. At one time, I felt that I was insensate to leave my boss in the lurch when I barely worked for 1 month in the company and served 1 month notice.

******
Hello!

7 Aug 2008 marked the new beginning (yet again) of my working life. One word to describe my first day of work, “wearisome”. Not because of the work load, but I need more sleep. I felt mentally stressed, cause of the constant change of environment. Month of May I left ST, End of May I joined DSTA, Left DSTA during early August and here I am in this new company, new environment and new boss.

I woke up early for the day and drove to CK Tang where I parked my car. Time checked, it was half an hour before 830am and since I had some time, I decided to walk down the tunnel to Orchard MRT and then to Ngee Ann City where my office is located.

Many of us had the impression that the women working in the town area should looked like top business women, wearing Armani trouser suit and crisp white shirt with hair drawn off face. That was so so so wrong! Since I was early, I surveyed the bustling streets, people were striding along but they wore normal office wear and some dressed seemingly casual. I could safely refute the hearsay that women in town dressed better or looked better than those working in the sub urban areas. It is proven, by me.

Anyway, when I entered my office at 830am, I was one of the earliest to arrive. Even my boss came 15min later. I was given a warm welcome and hug by my boss’s wife. She was such an affable lady and she actually recognized me, even though I was wearing my hair extension. I wondered if she noticed.

I was told to sit together in a room with my boss and given a new laptop. My boss did not give me any work for the first 2 days caused I was supposed to get myself acclimated especially on the HR piece. I was brought around for induction by my boss, he introduced colleagues whom I will be working with to me and majority of them were Caucasians from the States. So there, my new job has a very different working environment as compared to the previous companies. It is quite worrying since I have no experience working in such an environment.

The office is full of vigor, people were always gathering around and discussing about work, loudly. Cause Caucasians seemed to speak louder than Asians. One thing worth mentioning about my company is the vending machines. There are vending machines in every nook and cranny (drinks, snacks – chocolates, biscuits, cup noodles) and guess what, they are all FREE of charge. Suddenly, it feels good to work in such environment as compared to the previous one. I need a more energetic working atmosphere to get myself occupied.

My boss told me that the company practices “flexi-timing” where I can choose to work from home if I need to, and if there is nothing much to do, I can just leave and go home earlier. And I need not be at work at such early timing as he noticed that I was quite early. Little did he know that I am avoiding ERP.

Soon it was 530pm, for once, I didn’t feel that the time was crawling despite doing nothing. I dragged my heels and walked towards CK Tang for my car and headed home.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home