Sunday, November 15, 2009

Baking and Me

Baking is never my forte. The only memory of me baking is during my secondary school Home Economic days. I reminisced that during the final year examination, I decided to make cup cakes and hence, I beseeched my mum to pre-pack the ingredients and all I merely need to do is just to mix them, and TA-DA! Hot and delicious cup cakes! I also remembered making my first ever cheese cake for Kevin for some unknown occasion. These are the reminiscences of some one who doesn’t take pleasure in baking.

Come to think of it, it is a shame that I know nothing much about baking since my brother used to be a 5-star hotel pastry maker and as for my mum, she knows everything from making curry puff to even nonya kueh. I recalled having to forgo my unhealthy recess indulgence during my primary school days for her homemade butter cakes and cookies. I lost some friends too since I didn't join them for 'zero-point' game.

Maybe being a mum changed me. I decided to take a crack at baking again and this time, alone, no one to help or guide me. I rely on the recipe which I got from a magazine and that was it. I know Ziv likes to eat cup cakes and obviously that will be my first endeavor.

I went to supermarket yesterday to buy all my baking needs (cost me a good $73!) and I started making the cupcakes at 12 midnight. By the time it was ready, it was already 1am. Kevin and Ziv supported me by simply staying awake and the first attempt was disastrous. I did not buy a weighing scale and everything was based on estimation and alas, my estimation SUCKS big time. So it came out looking BAD but edible. I have to say it smelt like POPCORN. Ziv had a few of the small cutie cup cakes while Kevin finished up 6 at one go (see the picture below you will know why 6 is an easy job)! With his limited vocabulary, Ziv even comforted me by exclaiming, “NICE!” I was so touched and vowed to come back tomorrow with PERFECT cupcakes.

The next day early morning I called up my consultant (aka my brother) and he told me my mistake and I should really get a kitchen scale. Hence during Ziv’s Shichidah class I went around TPY to look for the scale. Managed to get one and started making during dinner time and this time it was a success (to me) but not entirely great, it was a bit dry and I called up the older consultant (aka my mum) and she told me some tips. I sent a MMS to my brother and as usual his pet peeves in wanting everything to be perfect, told me that the ones I have are NOT perfect, because the cake should cover the cake wrapper.

Ok, fine. I agreed. I have that in mind now and I will take on more baking challenges (such as brownie, muffins, cheesecakes) so that I can make some really nice cakes for Ziv. As for Kevin, he doesn’t like to eat cakes, so maybe Subway-alike cookies will be my next attempt for him!

These are the small cutie cupcakes for kids...


Finally!!


Born on the same day but having different fate. One in the stomach and the other one in the rubbish bin.


P.S: Thanks to the Shi Chi Da Hui (aka, food tasting session) participants, Emily, Dylan and Jayden, for risking their 'life' for these cupcakes. I should get you guys to give me star rating. Haha...

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

Rating from Dylan - 7/10
Rating from Emily - 8/10
Rating from Jayden - 10/10 and he wants more!

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home